Bible Reading Plan  

Posted by Sir Joshua David

A very Happy New Year to all my readers!!  :)


One of things I'm going to doing this year is to get back to reading the Bible in a year.  Here are a couple one reading plans. The first is the traditional one year plan a little from the OT, NT, Psalms and Proverbs each day; the second chronological reading which reads from Genesis to Revelation according the best guess of what order each event of the Bible occurred.

http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/readingplan/oneyearbiblereadingplan.pdf
http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/readingplan/oneyearchronologicalbiblereadingplan.pdf

This year I've decided to go with the traditional one year plan again since it's been a few years since I've read through in a year and next year will give the chronological one year plan a try.

I would highly encourage all my readers to start some sort of reading plan for the Bible this year know matter how much you decide to read whether it's several chapters to read through in a year or just a couple verses a day (there are plenty of Bible plans on the internet as well from reading the Bible in 3 years to reading it in 90 days).


I've always found that when I haven't read my Bible and spend time in prayer (something I think should always go together) during a day my day doesn't go as well because my focus is off and usually centered on myself.

Has anyone else decided on a Bible reading plan this year?  Do you have different Bible reading method then mentioned above? I'd love it hear about!

God bless you all as you set your focus on God this coming year!!

This entry was posted on 01 January 2014 at Wednesday, January 01, 2014 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

One year (2012 I believe) my mom read aloud and did the chronological plan. My dad usually leads a family bible time in the morning before he goes to work, and my mom reads from some of the classics (the Narnia series lately) when he leaves while everyone eats breakfast.
In my personal time I've just recently started going through Matthew. Hadn't planned on one of the bible in a year plans this year but I do like the idea. The structure of it keeps you more accountable I think. You realize when you're reading and when you're not more rather than allowing yourself to become busy and disorganized.

And yes, HUGE difference when I make sure to spend time alone with Him every day vs. rushing through and realizing at the end of a chaotic day I hadn't spent time with Him. And on another note, while I'm in the habit of praying silently and keeping a prayer journal, I've recently discovered that the freedom and ease of being able to pray aloud is a huge comfort and blessing and more like talking to a friend. Almost like the difference between texting or emailing vs. just having face to face time with a friend, if that makes any sense at all. I share a room with a sister so have to find ways/times to make that happen more so now then when I had farm chores that got me out alone. :)
At the Preschool I work at, the kids have a regular nap time-I've found it works out well to have my bible on hand for these times because I can read/pray while they sleep. Usually anyway. Just a matter of finding what works for you and scheduling it!

January 1, 2014 at 7:47 PM

We have done these reading plans and I've really enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing the links!
Happy new year!

January 2, 2014 at 11:39 AM

That sounds great Victoria, I love the idea of family Bible study time and reading the Bible allowed! I've decided to read the Bible allowed whenever possible this year during my reading. It seems to help me remember it better and I often realize things that I hadn't before just from hearing my own voice saying it rather than in my head.

I certainly know I need the help to keep organized and accountable for reading my Bible and thus find the reading plans very helpful for me! But I realize other are more disciplined than myself do not need to use such a plan.

As of last year I've also found it amazingly freeing and yes more friend like in praying allowed to God especially in times when I need to cry out to God for help for myself and/or others! I believe it is in Psalms somewhere that the Bible says we should cry out to the Lord with a loud voice. 1st Thessalonians says we are to "pray without ceasing", so while we should have our daily prayer and devotional time there should always be a line of communication open between God and ourselves. :)

I hardly go anywhere without my Bible, just in case an occasion comes up to witness to someone or I have a little time to read my Bible or get a thought to look something up.

January 3, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Thank you for commending again, Lilac Bud Gal! Glad to have hear from you again. :) You're welcome and good to hear other people are making good use of these plans.

January 3, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Yeah. I CAN be disciplined about it, but usually it takes establishing a pattern of habit before I naturally do anything regularly or naturally on my own.

I had been reading in Matthew but was inspired to give this a go on my own. Why not? Didn't have any new years resolutions aside from the 365 photo thing. So I just slowed my reading in Matthew a bit and picked up in Genesis. I decided to do the chronological one again. I like the perspective. I downloaded an app that tells me where to read everyday. I still use my actual bible though because I dislike reading books off a screen.
I hadn't thought of any verses saying to speak aloud. Just thought why not, it seems more natural anyway!
I decided to try and encourage my class to think about prayer today as more than a ritual and began by asking what they were thankful for. I eventually had to guide the conversation because lunch was getting cold and they weren't showing signs of stopping anytime soon! I've been thinking about prayer a lot lately. It was sweet. I love my job! I love the children.

January 4, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Yes Victoria, creating good habits and patterns goes a long way to building discipline.

Glad to hear you're join in on the one year plan. :) I definitely want to read the chronological plan next year! I agree about the reading the actual Bible rather than on a screen, plus I can usually find a verse twice in an actual Bible than on Bible app. haha

I wish I had that problem not getting them to stop talking with the teens/preteens that I teach! Kids are such a joy to teach because the usually do want to learn and are innocent in their questions and answers. :)

January 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Post a Comment