Manliness  

Posted by Sir Joshua David

I know it's been a long time since I've posted anything on here, but I've been busy living life (including going on a missions trip which shall be a subject of a future post). I have as of late been reading about and endeavoring to become more of a gentleman in thought, speech and action.  I found this article recently that talks about the history of the words man, manly, manfully and the like. While the article does not come from a Christian perspective it does still point out many of the qualities and virtues of a man that are demonstrated and extolled in the Bible. http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/05/09/scarcity-luxury-and-proving-ones-manhood/?utm_source=Daily+Subscribers&utm_campaign=938a3fe33a-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ade984535d-938a3fe33a-260585821

When I think of a manly man in of the Bible David is first to come to mind. David like any human being was not perfect as demonstrated by his adultery with Bathsheba and the murdering of her husband (2 Samuel 11 & 12). David repented (Psalm 51 records his repentant prayer to God) and he was forgiven however the consequences of his actions remained not only effecting him but his family. Yet, there is much praise of David despite his fault with Bathsheba.

In 1 Samuel 13:14 and Acts 13:22 God says of David that he is "a man after My own heart, who will do all My will."  I do not believe God's love of David's character was altered by his fall to lust.  The reason why David is viewed as such a manly man is because of his great love and service to God.  Another verse speaking praise of David is 1 Samuel 16:18 - "Then one of the servants answered and said, 'Look, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, who is skillful in playing, a mighty man of valor, a man of war, prudent in speech and a handsome person; and the LORD is with him.' "
The reason the LORD was with David was because David had an intimate relationship with God, and THAT is the foundation and what makes a real man!

Saul the first king of Israel (1 Samuel 9 & 10) also was noted for his handsomeness and was chosen by God, yet He was not praised for his relationship with the Lord and 1 Samuel 13:13,14 he is rebuked for taking matters into his own hands rather than waiting upon the Lord and obeying him:
13 And Samuel said to Saul, “You have done foolishly. You have not kept the commandment of the Lord your God, which He commanded you. For now the Lord would have established your kingdom over Israel forever. 14 But now your kingdom shall not continue. The Lord has sought for Himself a man after His own heart, and the Lord has commanded him to be commander over His people, because you have not kept what the Lord commanded you.”

So we see that while God chose Saul to be king and the Holy Spirit came upon him and used him to rescue the Israelite from there enemies he did not have a heart seeking after a relationship with God as David does as the next king.  Both kings were chosen  by God, both kings started out as good kings, yet when each of them fell to sin one repented while the other did not.  Saul continued his downward spiral as he disobeyed God, whereas David sought the council of the Lord.

Finally before ending this post here are a few more scripture verses that speak of the attributes of a godly man (a real man):

1 Corinthians 16:13-14
Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.

Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Titus 2:7,8

Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity,
and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.

1 Timothy 6:11

But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.

1 Timothy 4:12

Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.

Micah 6:8

He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

1 Corinthian 13:11

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.

Psalm 37:23-24

The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way;
24 though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand.


1 Kings 2:1-3

When David's time to die drew near, he commanded Solomon his son, saying, 2 “I am about to go the way of all the earth. Be strong, and show yourself a man, 3 and keep the charge of the Lord your God, walking in his ways and keeping his statutes, his commandments, his rules, and his testimonies, as it is written in the Law of Moses, that you may prosper in all that you do and wherever you turn,

1 Corinthians 6:12-13
“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything. Foods for the stomach and the stomach for foods, but God will destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.

If you have any other verses to add or any other thoughts please comment below. :)

This entry was posted on 26 November 2013 at Tuesday, November 26, 2013 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

I like what you said about David having an intimate relationship with God... for that is so true for him. He had a strong repent full heart. To add to your thoughts Sir Joshua David, Christian men are called to the same standers that elders to a church are. At least that's what Voddie Baucham says. That's a very high calling for a man if you ask me.

November 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM

The books of 1 Timothy and Titus are probably the best examples of eldership in the Bible.

November 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Yes, exactly all men should have the elders standards as the bar reach. I had forgotten about that thanks for mentioning 1 Timothy and Titus, Joshua. :)

November 27, 2013 at 6:36 PM

David isn't my favorite Bible guy, but good post. This world gotta have some manliness in it..:)

November 30, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Very good! Thanks for sharing...

and yes to your answer on my blog. Go for it!

December 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Thank you Hannah for the comment, I wouldn't say David is my favorite guy either but there is much to learn from him! Agreed to the world needing manliness! It seems that people have different opinions on what that definition exactly is which is why we need to go to the Bible for the definitive answer and the Bible has a LOT to say on that subject. :)

December 28, 2013 at 11:59 PM

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it Lady Patrizia!

Well then I'll get right on that then. :)

December 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Post a Comment